New Years Eve in Washington DC

December 31st 2015 Brian has never been to Washington DC so we made sure we did a little day trip up there. One of the only days that ...

December 31st 2015

Brian has never been to Washington DC so we made sure we did a little day trip up there. One of the only days that rain was not expected was New Years Eve. My sister said that DC isn't crazy busy on New Years Eve so we decided to head out there.

Grandpa with the older grandkids at the Reagan building.

1st stop was my favorite, the Washington Memorial. Not sure why it is my favorite, probably because Washington and I share a birthday. ;-)

Family selfie with the Washington Monument.

Adleigh was very excited when she saw the Princess Castle.

Family shot in front of the Smithsonian Institute Castle.

Traveling with my father meant we had to explore the Air & Space Museum. We ate lunch there at a ridiculously over priced McDonalds (I wanted to eat at the USDA but no one agreed with me, they regretted it later). Adleigh really enjoyed playing in the kids area at this museum.

The museum was playing the IMax of Star Wars which was very exciting... Well to everyone but us. Haha. Grandpa is trying to convert Breydon to the dark side.

Grandpa and all his grandkids in attendance.

With the Lunar Module in the lobby post going to the gift shop. Adleigh got a plane and Breydon got a squishy space shuttle. We got complemented in the gift shop for being brave enough to bring two littles to a museum.

Post museum Adleigh had a major meltdown because she wanted me to hold her. We had brought two double strollers and Russell had one spot and Catherine had the other, which left two perfectly good spots. She refused and also refused to walk. So we sent everyone on ahead of us while she pouted on the sidewalk. I even walked a good 100 yards away from her and she stayed still. Some bikers stopped to talk to her because they thought she was lost, ha. Finally I got her to come with me by having her smell all the fun herbs outside the USDA. We finally caught up to Brian and Breydon we were massively behind the rest of my family. We misunderstood and thought they were going to the Jefferson Memorial so headed over there but got a call from them wondering where we were... they were at the WWII memorial. We had gone very far out of the way and I ended up having to carry Adleigh because she was so tired. Whoops! I wore my FitBit and we walked over 24,000 steps that day!

We finally caught up with my family at the WWII monument, mostly because they kids were excited by the fountain and didn't mind waiting for us.

Our new home!

Forever in our hearts!

Heading to the Lincoln Memorial. This little boy was a champ the whole day!  Actually both my kids did really well for being hauled around all day. Also see those two ducks in the background? They were totally stalking us! I fed them some yogurt drops and they followed us all the way down. I definitely fed them some more, persistence pays off!

My little darlings! I was so excited the pool was full. When I went in 8th grade it was being restored.

So we totally got asked by a random stranger if he could take a picture of Breydon right here. Guess my baby is too adorable! 

Family picture with the Lincoln Memorial. Adleigh loved running up and down those stairs. She probably could have done that for hours.

This was as close as we got to the White House. Brian was less than impressed. Also the Capitol Building was under renovation so was also less than impressive. Blast.

Our final stop was the Museum of Natural History. We got there only an hour before it closed so we did a very quick tour.  I freaked when I saw Adleigh climb on this but then saw the sign that it was touchable.

Adleigh and Seth really liked this area. Adleigh's favorite part of the museum was the baby mummy on display but I thought it was a bit morbid to take a picture with it. But seriously we spent like 10 minutes with the baby. "AWW the baby is sleeping mommy!"

A dinosaur! Then we got kicked out but we hit the gift store on the way out. Brian and I like to collect magnets from everywhere we go. Breydon got a squeaky t-rex and Adleigh got a tiny snow globe with a dinosaur in it. I was worried she would break it but she carried it the whole way back to the cars which was a very long walk! Sadly Brian took it from her as we loaded and dropped it... go figure! Luckily Adleigh didn't freak out. 

The Washington DC LDS temple was less than 30 minutes away so after eating some Costa Vida we headed over there.

The visitors center.

The whole DC group! Such a fun exhausting trip! We made it back home before midnight but we were too exhausted to really do much but we at least stayed up, counted down and had some sparkling cider before heading to bed. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I still can't believe we did all that in one day, especially with 5 children - and your family even had the looooong detour to the Jefferson memorial!

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

Flickr Images