Austin Keith Weirich

August 24th 2017 Ok I am clearly way behind but here is the birth story of our newest little man! Ok so our story actually starts o...

August 24th 2017

Ok I am clearly way behind but here is the birth story of our newest little man!

Ok so our story actually starts on August 23rd I had a Doctors Appointment in Utah. I had been staying the past few days in Lyman, Wyoming helping our brother-in-law build a deck for our friends. So my friend Chelsey, her daughter, my sister-in-law, her 3 kids and my two kids (we also went to Chick-Fil-A and Costco because thats what you do when you are in Utah and from Wyoming). When I got to the Doctor's office, he had just left to go deliver a baby. They gave me the option to go see another Doctor or come back an hour and a half later. I decided to go see the other Doctor since I had so many people with me. I told this new Doctor that I had been having contractions on and off for a while. He told me the whole point of scheduling a c-section early was to prevent labor, because a c-section after labor is worse than just a scheduled c-section.  So he said the next time I had them consistently for more than an hour to go to the hospital and do whatever I could to keep them going and since I was a c-section they would deliver me that day.
I had contractions the whole drive home (2 hours) and so Brian decided not to go into work that night since he would have been 2.5 hours away if I went into labor. Brian met us out in Lyman and we called his mom, Brenda, who was driving up from Texas, to see where she was at. She wasn't going to be in Utah until the next day, so we decided to try and wait until she could make it.
I woke up at 2:30am with crazy contractions and the chills. I didn't want to wake Brian up since he had been working 18-22 hour days and really needed sleep. I was able to fall asleep for another hour between 6:30 and 7:30. I tried to eat breakfast but got super nauseated so only ate about a quarter of a muffin. The contractions weren't super painful and  I was trying to prevent going to the hospital as long as I could. My mother-in-law has been present for every birth of her grandchildren and this was #19 so I didn't want to break that streak! :-)
Finally around 11am, I couldn't handle it anymore and I called the Doctor's office. They told me to head to the hospital. I totally started crying while talking to them about having contractions and I seriously never ever cry!  She asked if this was my first baby... haha. No, but I've never actually gone into labor! Brian took a shower (he had been working on the deck all morning) and I grabbed the bags. We left the kids with the Hymas's since we didn't know if they would actually let us have the baby that day. Breydon refused to give me a hug or kiss goodbye so I was sad the whole drive that I was going to die during the c-section and not have gotten loves from my son... little stinker. Chelsey (who is a Labor & Delivery nurse) also coached me on how to be a believable woman in labor since my contraction weren't super painful. Her advice: no makeup, no hair done, don't smile during a contraction, don't talk during a contraction, etc :-). We drove 2 hours to the hospital and I had contractions the whole time. I was also worried about dying during surgery the whole time. Pretty sure my husband thought I was crazy.
 We had never actually been to the hospital so we had no idea where to go. Turns out we had parked on the opposite side of the hospital. By the time I made it too the Labor & Delivery section I was definitely in pain! I checked in, told them that I had a scheduled c-section the next week and they laughed and said well you can can cancel that! They took me to a little room for one last weigh in, asked if I did drugs or if my husband beats me (so random) and then we got to go to a delivery room.
They had me gown up and put a contraction monitor on me and a heart rate monitor for the baby and monitored me for an hour. I was barely dilated to a 1 which was not surprising since I don't dilate. My nurse was super understanding since it took her 30 hours to fully dilate with her kids. I was having consistent contractions every 2 minutes so she wasn't worried about me getting sent home (I still was).
As she was leaving to go see what the Doctor said, I told her to remind him that I lived in Wyoming. She came back a little while later and announced we were having a baby that day! She said once he was reminded of Wyoming then he didn't even ask anything more, haha. Don't need to make a laboring woman do that drive twice! So I got my IV put in (by the way, all you woman should totally ask for it to be placed on your forearm not your hand or wrist, so nice) and pumped full of fluids.
Literally my mother in law walked into our room had about 3 minutes with us and then they came in to wheel me and Brian back to then OR at 3:30. We got stuck outside the OR for a bit thanks to a faulty door but the Anesthesiologist saved the day and got us inside. 

This is me... still worried about dying... right before they wheeled me back! LOL.
This is Brian wearing the one size fits all outfit required in the OR. As you can see they are high waters on him. Not shown is the large rip in the bum area from them not fitting.

It was strange to have Brian in the OR the whole time with me. The previous two births he was kept outside until right before the baby was pulled out. Having him with me was really nice because he got to help steady me during the spinal and help me move to the table. The anesthesiologist commented on how perfectly our kids were spaced which was funny since it's all luck for us, well luck and fertility drugs.  After the spinal started to kick in: I started to feel gross. Then my blood pressure tanked from 137/90 to 70/40 and that was not fun. (Apparently I should have read Breydon's birth story because that same thing happened and I totally forgot about it.) So I was super dizzy and started dry heaving. Thankfully no barfing because barfing while strapped flat on your back would suck. The Anesthesiologist gave me some drugs to boost my blood pressure back up to 90/60 and then I felt a million times better. Though it still was really weird feeling to be numb from the diaphragm down. Finally they pulled the little dude out and he came out screaming. He also had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice! Oh and the doctor told me that he had blonde hair thinking that the red was from the blood being on the blonde. But then corrected himself to saying he was a red head. Wahoo! They let me see him really quick and then he and Brian left to the next room for him to get rubbed dry, weighed and measured. He screamed the whole time which was good to help clear his lungs. Then he and Brian got to come hang out with me while I was finished. Which was also very weird. The previous two babies were pulled out, shown to me and then baby and Brian would leave. I would get to see them about an hour to three hours later depending on the recovery. Not with this one, they stayed with me the whole time! We snapped a few pictures and then got wheeled back to the room. 
Brian and the unhappy man!

A blurry Doctor Housel and baby but it is the only one I got!

Hanging out with Mommy while all my guts are getting sewed back together! :-)

This is my "yay I didn't die but definitely feel like I was hit by a truck face."

Welcome to the world little man!

Meeting his Mamaw! I tried really hard to let them have her come into the OR with us. Mamaw is basically a doula for all my sister-in-laws as well as many other woman. She did have 9 children so she knows what she is doing! But sadly so far all my hospitals have had a strict only one person in with me. Dang hospitals! They won't even let me watch the c-section either... boo.

I was super excited because I thought he had curly hair... nope! So the newest trend in newborn care is  a delayed bath. They have found that giving a newborn a bath within the first 6 hours drops their body temperature significantly which stresses the body and they have to work a lot harder to get it back up. So now they just rub them clean as best as they can and then after 6 hours they are free to go get a scrub down. So his hair was just still covered in amniotic fluid which made it curly. He didn't end up going to get a bath until the 6 hours was far passed because we didn't want us to leave us. :-)

So this is what the nurses referred to as a singing baby. He did it constantly the first day he was born, it was so sweet. In newborns it can just be "singing" or signify some respiratory issues. So just to be safe he was taken up to the NICU to get a thorough check which he thankfully passed. He was just a singer! This hospital has a policy where baby stays in the room with mom for everything except emergencies and the bath so taking him to the NICU was a big deal. Definitely a little nerve wracking at first but obviously turned out ok! 

Father and Son bonding!

We decided to not have the kids come out and see the baby the day he was born. Driving after 4pm means that Breydon falls asleep while driving and when Breydon naps then he doesn't go to sleep until close to midnight. So we didn't want to curse Brenda with a crazy non sleeping Breydon after she had driven all night from Texas. So they stayed in Lyman and got to party with friends and cousins! Clearly we weren't missed. 

 Uncle Matt also came to visit but I was too drugged to remember to take pictures. I'm the worst! We spent most of the time trying to figure out a name. Since they had wrote No Name on the board we started referring to him as "no nah mei". The names we narrowed it down to were, my two Thomas and Nathan. Brian's were Austin and Chase. Matt vetoed Thomas by calling him Thomas the Train, totally ruined it for me. So I vetoed Chase because of Chase from the cartoon Paw Patrol. We knew the middle name was going to be Keith. So Brenda wrote Austin Keith and Nathan Keith up on the board so that we could see how it looked. Then we started taking votes. No shock when all of Brian's Texas family liked Austin :-) except Brenda, she was on my side. Even all the nurses liked Austin, dang them. 

After Mamaw and Matt left we realized we hadn't got a picture of the 3 of us! So we snapped  a quick one before sending him off to finally get clean. Brian then went to go get me Arby's because I was finally hungry but the dang place closed at 10pm. Super lame. So I had to settle for the only place that was open, Wendy's.

Post bath baby! You can really see his red hair and the nurse gave him a cute little mohawk.  Funny story, so when the nurse had rolled him out for his bath we still hadn't officially decided on a name. When he came back he had a name tag on his bed that said Austin Keith. Guess it was a sign that we should name him Austin. :-)



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Austin sounds more like a red-head name. Nathans are brunette :D

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

Flickr Images